There is no single router that can be deemed as the best for everyone. Each person needs a different router based on his unique needs and purposes. To find the best router, you need to consider many things. Here are tips to help you find the best router for you.
1. Invest in a powerful internet router with higher specs. Such routers will give you a better signal and can help you maximize your connection speed. High-spec routers also usually provide better security, keeping your connection protected from interference and unauthorized entry.
2. Get an internet router with multiple ports. Routers with more ports tend to be more expensive, but they also allow you to use the router for more connections. If you have many gadgets you’d like to hook up to your router, a multi-port router will allow you to allocate specific ports for each of them. Gadget-savvy gamers will benefit a lot from this.
3. Choose an 802.11g or 802.11n wifi router. Choose a router that is compatible with the 802.11g or 802.11n standards. In the past, 802.11b was the most common. However, now that router technology has greatly advanced, you can enjoy up to five times more speed with an 802.11g router. In fact, the more recent 802.11n models are even more impressive in terms of speed.
4. Choose the right router brand. When it comes to routers, the brand tends to have a lot to do with performance. The best routers are those from Belkin and Netgear since their products are known to provide reliable and high-quality connections.
5. Consider range and placement. Routers have different connection ranges, or the total amount of space they can cover. Routers that can cover a larger span usually cost more. Before buying a router, measure the space you plan to put it in so you know what kind of router to buy. However, be sure to take obstructions such as walls, dividers, and so on into consideration. These barriers can have a negative effect on your wireless connection.
6. Know more about your router. Once you get your router, explore its various options and make little modifications to help you get the best connection. The best settings differ for every user, so keep your needs in mind. One of the most important things to consider is the channel through which your router transmits data. Wireless routers can choose any one of the 13 available radio channels, but most people use only the default, which means they are most likely sharing the same channel with the rest of their neighbors. This can result in a lot of interference. Thus, changing the channel may give you a better connection.
If you are looking for the top 10 routers for your home or small office then visit http://www.theproductsite.com for expert friendly advice that will explain to you which router is the best for your needs. This site aims to help customers find the best wireless routers for them by offering a needs-oriented shopping experience. The site also offers a range of articles, tips, and resources to guide users on finding the right type of router for them for streaming (BBC iPlayer), downloading (Bit torrents) or online gaming (Xbox, Wii, PS3) needs.