TalkTalk provides free routers to subscribers of its broadband Internet service. These routers are considered as the best to use with your TalkTalk package as they have been tested by the ISP itself. One of these routers is the D-Link DSL-2680, a popular model from well-known router manufacturer, D-Link.
• Your router should be connected to your computer using an Ethernet cable.
• You should have your TalkTalk welcome letter as you will need it as a reference for your broadband username and password. If you do not have the welcome letter to hand, you have to call the TalkTalk hotline at 0870-0875-562 to retrieve your Talk Talkdetails. However, you can only make this call from a TalkTalk landline phone.
• Your router should be connected to the phone socket using a microfilter.
Once all of these are ready, you can proceed to the proper installation process.
1. Open your web browser (e.g. Internet Explorer, Firefox, Google Chrome)
2. Type http://192.168.1.1 into the address bar, without the www, then press Enter.
3. You will be prompted to provide a username and password for your router. Take note that these are not your TalkTalk broadband username and password. Rather, these are router details. If you have not changed your router password and are just using the default, just enter admin in both fields.
4. You will be directed to a summary screen. On the left hand side, press on the Quick Start button.
5. This time, you will be asked for your TalkTalk broadband details, which are written on the welcome letter.
6. Click Connect.
7. Save your settings by clicking OK.
The process is actually very simple and does not require much technical knowledge or experience. Even home users can easily complete it without any technical knowledge.
Once you’re done, you can create a wireless network so you can connect to the Internet even without connecting your Ethernet cable. After that, you can test your connection by visiting the TalkTalk website at http://www.talktalk.co.uk.
If you have followed all the steps but are still having problems to connect, you will need to do some troubleshooting so you will know what the problem is. Basically, the first thing you should do is to check the DSL light, which will indicate whether you are receiving a broadband signal or not. For the D-Link DSL-2680, the DSL light is the one shaped like a circle and an arrow that faces to the left. It is specifically the third light from the right. In other models and other brands, the position of the DSL light will differ.
If you feel that you are unable to determine the cause of the problem and to fix it, you can call TalkTalk and the ISP (Internet Service Provider) can send technicians to you. Take note that TalkTalk provides free support to all routers that it provides to its subscribers. However, if you are using a different router other than the one TalkTalk has provided you, you will not have this option and may have to pay a large fee.
Want to know more information on how to configure your D-Link DSL-2680 TalkTalk router then visit TheProductSite.com (http://www.theproductsite.com) for expert friendly advice that will explain to you how to get the best out of your router. The Product Site aims to help customers find the best wireless routers for them by offering a needs-oriented shopping experience. The site also offers a range of router articles, tips, and materials to guide shoppers on finding the right type of router and ISP for them for streaming TV shows, downloading films or online gaming needs.