If you want to set up port forwarding in your TalkTalk router, you will have to access your router’s configuration settings, just as you would when you need to make any changes to your router configuration. The process that will follow then differs for each router brand, and most times, the configuration process for router models of the same brand still differ especially in the terminologies used.
Nowadays, people use port forward to gain maximum advantage and speed when either playing online games (FIFA12, COD, Battlefield3) or using P2P and Bit Torrent Software (Azureus, uTorrent, BitComet).
However, just to give you a general guide, here are the steps you should follow in order to set up port forwarding:
1. Open your router’s configuration settings by typing your router address into a web browser. Most routers use either 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1. If you want to know for sure, though, you can simply run Command Prompt and enter “ipconfig/all” for Windows, “netstat-nr” for Mac, and “ifconfig wlan0” for Linux.
2. Once in, you will be required to provide a username and password. If you’re still on default, type “admin” for both fields. For Netgear routers, however, they use “admin” for the username and “password” for the password. On some routers, you can also try leaving the password field blank and simply type “admin” on the username field.
3. Go to Advanced settings and look for the Port Forwarding section. Again, the location and terminologies of these options may differ.
4. Enter the application you want to use. (e.g. Online PC Game, Bit Torrent Software)
5. Select the ports you want to use. If you want to open only one port, just enter the same number in both the Start and End fields. If you want to open multiple ports, just enter the first in Start and the last in End by following a sequential numbering.
6. You will be asked to choose between TCP and UDP. Select Both.
7. You will be asked for your IP address. Take note that some routers ask for the whole address, while some ask only for the last three digits. Read the instructions so you will know what to enter.
8. If you don’t know your IP address, go to Command Prompt and enter ipconfig.
9. Save all settings by clicking Apply and OK.
10. You may be asked to restart your router so that the new settings will take effect.
However, since the process of configuring port forwarding on the different routers supported by TalkTalk differ based on the type of router as well as the specific application you wish to open a port for, specific instructions may differ. If you want to follow the exact instructions, you can look for your device in the extensive guide offered by PortForward.com. Once you’ve chosen the right router model, you will be asked to choose the various programs you are forwarding ports for. If your program is not provided in the list, you can access the default guides, which are also provided for each router model.
Once you’ve completed the process, you may test if your port has been forwarded properly. The website also has a Port Checker tool that you can use.
If you are looking on how to open certain ports on your TalkTalk Router then visit TheProductSite.com (http://www.theproductsite.com) for expert friendly advice that will explain to you which wireless router is the best for your needs. The Product Site aims to help customers find the best wireless routers for them by offering a needs-oriented shopping experience. The site also offers a range of router articles, tips, and materials to guide shoppers on finding the right type of wireless router and ISP for them for streaming TV shows, downloading films or online gaming needs.